Thursday, June 6, 2013

Tropical Storm Andrea Estate Sale

Yes, despite Tropical Storm Andrea looming over us this morning, Linda, Duane and I were not going to miss this fantastic estate sale.  We decided to meet at the sale instead of meeting somewhere in between and going in one car.  The directions to drive there were very simple and none of us had trouble finding it.  We only had to stand outside with our umbrellas for a short period before the estate organizers let us in.  This house had been owned by an antique collector.  Everything was either an antique or vintage and had been lovingly cared for. It was kind of strange because it reminded me of my late mother-in-law's furnishings.  In fact, she owned the identical Karastan rug pictured in the photo of the sitting room in the first picture.

Everything except the appliances in the house was for sale.  Also, the organizers were willing to negotiate.  We've been to this company's sales before.  The people who run it are very nice and even have a drawing for $100 for anyone who fills out a ticket and drops it into a glass bowl where you pay.  They also always have the local police for parking and checking purchases at the door. There were so many pretty and interesting items.  Linda said she would have loved to have bought most of the house.  Instead we each settled on a few things that caught our eye.


There were so many lovely little antique tables.  I'm actually glad that I don't have any space for another because these tables would easily have fit into tiny spaces.
Linda decided on a vintage luggage rack and a signed painted
porcelain picture from Spain.  Just about all of the art work was signed.  I purchased a couple of small silver pins.  One of a horse's head and the other is in the form of a mannequin.  Both vintage and very cool.  I came across a tiny vintage thermometer that may be partially made of Bakelite.  I'll need to test it.  I also found a cute leather bookmark embossed with "I fell asleep here" in gold and my big buy was a vase made of depression glass.  Although I've always liked depression glass, I've never owned any until now.  I have a weakness for glass and I couldn't pass this up.

Duane found a crystal Christmas ornament by Lenox still in the original box.  We all left happy and maybe we'll get lucky and one of us will win the $100 door prize.  It hasn't happened yet but...  After we left the sale, we headed for the nearest Starbucks and sat out a pretty bad part of the rain and wind.  There had been tornado sightings in certain areas so we decided to watch from inside and spend some time gabbing.  Luckily, we all made it home safely and it looks like T.S. Andrea is finished with our area.  Hope she doesn't hurt anyone as she heads further north.

Duane's buy.



Linda's purchases.
My purchases.
Close-up of my vase.


No comments:

Post a Comment