Sunday, January 19, 2014

The Suncoast Arts Fest 2014

Yesterday, Duane, Linda and I decided to check out a juried arts show being held for the ninth year.  The show wasn't too far from where I live.  There's one of those outdoor shopping centers with wide streets for walking between the shops at the Wiregrass Mall in Wesley Chapel.  Wesley Chapel is a small community just outside Tampa and in the next county.

The Suncoast Arts Fest did not disappoint.  There were artists from all over the U.S. participating.  Painting, ceramics, woodwork, jewelry, photography, sculpture, printmaking and mixed media were just some of the categories on display and for sale.  There was also a 1K run, entertainment, and a Hands-On Kids Art Garden.  Chalk artists were busily working away during the two day show (it continued today) while shoppers watched them work their magic on the concrete areas of the mall.




Chalk art.

It was actually pretty cold for here so we were bundled up since we decided to go when the show first started at 10am yesterday (Saturday) morning.  There were so many lovely items (over 150 artists participated) that I found myself grabbing the business cards for many of the artists so I could see their websites and have time to think about any big purchase.

Photo from the 2013 show.  Warmer weather last year.
Linda purchased two signed prints that caught her eye.  They're by an artist named Zhiyong Ye from China.  Then we came across a jewelry artist who makes Origami jewelry.  We all fell in love with her designs.  Linda and I both bought necklaces from her.  The artist's name is Mary Lee and she has a website here.  She actually creates more than just jewelry but she was only selling her jewelry at this art show.  The paper she uses is called 'hanji' which she obtains from her native Korea.  It was really difficult choosing just one item.  I've always loved paper and fiber art so Mary's booth immediately caught my eye.

After the art show we headed to Panera's for coffee/tea and a snack.  Then I needed to go to Jo-Ann's for materials for the Valentine's Day goodies I'm making for my three nieces this year.  I'll post more about that project when I have something to show.

We would highly recommend this show if you happen to be in the area around this time next year.  I look forward to attending again.

Our purchases, including the ones from Jo-Ann's.


 
My necklace on the left, Linda's on the right.


No comments:

Post a Comment