Monday, June 4, 2012

June is Audiobook Month!


I've been meaning to post this for a few days now so I figured I'd better get it done!  Yes, it's that time of year again -- June is audiobook month or JIAM as it's often called.  If you're already a devotee of audiobooks, good for you!  If not, now is a great time to give them a try.   Iambik Audiobooks is currently offering 50% off on a package of five of their sci/fi/fantasy books.  Check out the current deal here.  

Many sites are offering discounts for the month of June but if you're still hesitant and are interested in older and classic books, I highly recommend LibriVox where all of the audiobooks are free.  Yes, the books are read mostly by amateurs but we have a lot of very talented amateurs recording for us.  You can search by author, title, keyword or genre.  I particularly like listening to Andy Minter, Mil Nicholson, Karen Savage, Mark Smith, Elizabeth Klett, Tadhg Hines, Ruth Golding, and too many others to mention.  As for my own recordings, if you want to 'dip your toe' in the audiobook world, I've had great feedback for my readings of  Dawn O'Hara, the Girl Who Laughed by Edna Ferber, In the Bishop's Carriage by Miriam Michelson, The Other Side of the Door by Lucia Chamberlain and (if you like them creepy) The Lodger by Marie Belloc Lowndes.  There are links to these titles and others at the bottom of this page.  

If you're wondering when to listen, I'd suggest when you're doing something tedious or mindless so that you can concentrate on the book.  I listen while doing housework, exercising, flying, etc.  A great way to pass the time and enjoy yourself.  Give it a try!  You might even like it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment