Monday, August 6, 2012

A Garage Sale and more recording...

My friend, Linda, needed to have a garage sale because she's in the process of redecorating some rooms in her house.  Duane and I took some things to Linda's house on Saturday and we had the sale.  Linda had quite a few pieces of furniture (which she was practically giving away) and we had lots of misc.  As usual, we had our first theft within an hour of the start of the sale.  Honestly.  Who steals an item that's being sold for a quarter?  Well, apparently, an older lady who came with her daughter and teen-age granddaughter.  I saw this woman looking at a necklace I had in a little clear baggy.  The granddaughter bought (and paid for) several items and after they left, I walked over to check the tables.  I just had a funny feeling about grandma.  I looked at her hands after I saw her with the necklace but one hand was holding keys and the other was clutching a small leather change purse.  THAT'S the hand where I'm sure she hid the necklace in it's baggy.  It was a very dainty necklace in a tiny baggy -- worth much more than .25 but I wanted to get rid of stuff.  Why do people do this?  Over the years I've noticed it more with older people than with younger ones.  I think many people like to believe the opposite but that hasn't been my experience.  At least not at garage sales.  I guess she got her thrill for the day.  (insert rolling of eyes here)

I was able to help my younger nephew, Ben, who is moving from a furnished dorm room to a house with roommates (and owns almost nothing to take with him) by lightening Linda's and Duane's load.  I bought a night stand, 2 table lamps and some dishes from Linda.  I bought more dishes from Duane which included some bowls, too.  Ben was very happy to receive these things.  The stuff that didn't sell is being picked up by the Salvation Army so Linda can get her garage back.   We were all three pretty pooped afterwards (the heat was awful) but we always have a good time when we're together.  Now Linda has a lot more free space so she can continue with her re-deco projects.

I was able to record and edit two more of the short stories for Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes yesterday which made me a happy camper.  I also started editing chapter two of A Dixie Christmas.  Unfortunately, today has been a washout -- in every sense of the word -- as far as recording. The thunderstorms moved in pretty early and are still rumbling.  Loudly.  I'm so bummed.  I had hoped to record the last two short stories for "Sweet Tea..." today.  I may be burning the midnight oil on these -- provided the storms don't continue.  I used the time to work on a couple of yarn projects that I'll post about here when they're finished.  They're all turning out well and I'm pretty pleased.  In the mean time, I think the thunder may finally be fading away...


  1. We'll do anything for a good time. We drank a lot of water that day. Hope Ben enjoys his new stuff.

    My goal in life right now is to get rid of STUFF. So I can buy more STUFF. I finally hooked up my computer to fit into the new (and used) desk I bought several months ago. Almost forgot about the keyboard tray so I had to re-do that.

  2. That keyboard drawer was a nice extra on that desk. Mine has one, too, but I bought my desk years ago. Hard to find them now (as you well know).

    Yeah, I have more STUFF that I want to get rid of, too. It never ends...